Vibration Speaker Technology - Massive Force : Micro Vibrations
Surface Vibration Resonance Speaker Technology using the highest power Smart Material known.
Fit without Fuss. In minutes. For Home and Business Markets.
Feonic products are suitable for a wide range of applications. For home audio systems through to commercial premises; indoor and outdoor; multi zone ambient sound; artworks; advertising and promotions.
Attach a Feonic surface transducer to a solid resonant surface and you've got a high quality resonance speaker. A surface which envelops the listener in immersive sound. Powerful, portable, robust and easy to install without specialist skills or extensive re-working of surfaces.
Engineered with powerful magnetostrictive technology to generate sound from the heaviest and lightest of resonant surfaces. Heavy surfaces such as bomb proof store windows and solid oak flooring. Lighter surfaces such as drywall, acrylic glass, metal and more. The low amplitude (excursion) of the magnetostrictive approach ensures surfaces are not cracked or damaged by excessive vibration.
Surface Speaker solutions fall into these broad categories
- Flat Panel Speakers : turn surfaces into speakers. Many materials for multiple applications.
- Invisible Speakers : installed behind or under surfaces. Nothing to see and effectively wireless from a visual perspective.
- Invisible In Wall Speakers : the drive is inside a wall cavity. Requires more effort to install but with the option of our own honeycomb panels for extra performance.
- Hidden Speakers : the drive is visible but is easy to install out of sight. Fits in minutes without plastering and decorating. The entire panel becomes a surface speaker. The best vibration speaker solution for a tighter budget and easy installation.
- Outdoor Deck Speakers : mount drives on or under wooden decks for all weather resistant sound on the patio. For home, bars, restaurants and tourist attractions.
How do Feonic vibration speakers work? The Wall of Sound
We use magnetostrictive smart materials to create wide frequency vibrations within surfaces. Developed using advanced military sonar technology, in collaboration with the University of Hull. Feonic's award winning and multi patented technology is like no other vibration speaker product on the market. This is not a toy or gadget technology for cardboard boxes and the like.
Not all surface vibration speakers are the same. Superficially similar to a piezoelectric transducer, our products deliver high power and exceptional audio quality from the smallest vibrations. Vibrations up to 300 times smaller amplitude than alternatives. This micro vibration approach is a critical factor in avoiding damage to structures and to ensure high audio quality.
Resonance Speaker created from Resonant Surfaces
A resonant surface is a solid material that makes a pleasant sound when tapped. A wooden door or a glass window is resonant. A brick or a rock isn't resonant. Mount a Feonic vibration speaker onto a resonant surface to generate high power micro vibrations. Outputting a wide range of frequencies from 40Hz to ultrasonic at 22KHz. Generating sound waves over a large area of the material the entire panel becomes a resonance speaker. Making it an ideal technology for in wall speakers, glass speakers and hidden speakers.
The sound generated from the surface disperses as a flat field through the panel.
Meaning all people in front of the panel or surface will hear the same immersive surround sound at the same volume level. Avoids "too loud" hotspots.
Positioning of our audio transducer is not as critical as with alternative speakers. The latter have to be in "line of sight"
and therefore all too obvious to the listener. For Sound Art Installations or Museums the ability to hide a speaker can be critical:
"Loudspeakers inevitably say to the listener 'I am a loudspeaker', instead we want the sound to speak for itself".
Sound Designer Nick Ryan referring to his use of Feonic resonance speakers in a museum installation.
How does the audio signal transmit through the panel? The Wall of Speakers
Mount our audio transducers on either side of a surface, as the energy radiates throughout the panel.
Acoustic power spreads across the panel. With an even percentage of the signal split into many 'nodes' emitted from both the front and rear surface at equal volumes.
The size of the panel determines the number of these nodes and the power that the surface transducer needs to deliver. We have a range of products (below) for different panel sizes and applications.
What's the differences between Feonic Invisible Speakers and alternative technologies?
Feonic's unique micro-vibration amplitude is non damaging and suited to driving many structures. For example: in wall speaker; glass speaker or panel speaker applications. The amplitude of vibration alternative speakers use can be 300 times greater than a Feonic surface transducer. This means that alternatives can generate damaging vibrations. Additionally, Feonic vibration speaker drives can emit low and very high frequencies. Down to 40Hz, and up to ultrasonic sound at around 22KHz. Feonic drives also have the advantage of being small, portable, all weather resistant and are simple to install and remove.
How do Feonic surface speakers compare with traditional speaker technology? The Wall of Sound
Due to the output of powerful micro vibrations, Feonic transducers activate large areas of windows, walls, floors or ceilings. Generating sound into the volume of space around the entire surface. In the diagram a single sound transducer powers a window. Delivering a controlled wall of sound over the entire surface area.
This allows passersby to hear the music or promotional message communicated by the window while they walk past it. And at a constant volume without the sound getting annoyingly louder as they approach the speaker.
As the sound transducer is often mounted behind vinyl, it becomes an invisible speaker. Mounting inside the store ensures the transducer is secure and safe from the attention of vandals or theft.
The consistent audio output is controllable to avoid noise pollution.
Problems with traditional loudspeaker technology
Traditional loudspeaker PA equipment mounted outside the building are subject to abuse from the weather, vandalism and potential theft. Wires are run through walls, either drilled through brickwork or window frames. Mounting brackets likewise are drilled into the fabric of the building. Alternatively, Feonic drives are safe inside: fit without fuss in minutes.
The sound is louder the closer you get to the loudspeaker - a "too loud" hotspot is the result. Conversely, the volume drops rapidly the further away from the loudspeaker you are. To compensate for this traditional loudspeakers are often too loud, leading to noise pollution issues.
Too loud? And too quiet? Try Feonic technology for volume that is just right for your application and for all your audience, not just those lucky enough to be situated in the volume or stereo sweet spot.
“Delilah's pop up gig at TOPSHOP - a world first”
Unique Audio Solutions for street perfomances : musicians inside, audio inside and outside with Whispering Window Glass Speakers. Click image to watch the performance.
Summary of benefits of using Feonic Vibration Speakers
- For Glass Speakers - install in seconds - peel and stick - no screws or mounting issues. For other flat panel speaker requirements a simple mounting kit is available. Simply screw onto surfaces.
- Compact and Portable. Plug and Play. Using traditional home audio amplifiers or professional audio equipment
- Non damaging micro-vibration technology. Environmentally friendly - low power consumption & high acoustic efficiency
- Wide bandwidth - high intelligibility audio transducer supporting 40Hz - 20Khz
- Ultrasonic Transducer options for 'silent' communication between 18Khz and 22KHz
- Maintenance free - solid state, reliable, no moving parts, easy to install, move and replace. Fit and Forget - Magnetostrictive smart material has a long history in US Naval use
- Controllable output - reduced noise pollution. Respect your neighbours and your audience with volume that is 'just right'
- Cost efficient market entry - in particular low installation and maintenance costs. No outdoor PA system safety or security issues
- Infection control - inert to MRSA and other airborne bacteria
- Water resistant (IP55) design and construction - good for all weather outdoor speaker use. Will operate in high humidity and high/low temperature extremes
- Sounds great. Particularly the immersive quality of the sound.
Our resonance speakers can be purchased direct - phone +44 (0)1482 806 688 or email email@example.com for pricing or
to find an installer or reseller near you.
Technical Specifications can be found on our Downloads page
Feonic F1PRO Audio Drive
- Good all round voice/music surface speaker drive
- Sound level typically up to circa 92dBA
- Bandwidth - 60Hz - 20kHz
- Amplitude - 10µm @ 100Hz
- Applications include Home Audio equipment; Office and Boardroom audio visual systems; Whispering Window, spatial augmented reality, interactive advertising displays, point of sale, bus shelters; sound art installations; wet rooms and sauna waterproof speakers; outdoor deck speakers; public toilets, public spaces and more.
- Size 141 x 57 x 56 mm
Feonic F4PRO Audio Drive
- Compact versatile smaller panel speaker
- Low power typically 10W - 20W
- Sound level typically loud conversation level (circa 80dB)
- Applications include interactive advertising, kiosks, museum display cases, vending machines, portable sound systems, small rooms and demonstrators.
- Bandwidth - 100Hz - 20kHz
- Amplitude - 7µm @ 100Hz
- Size 76.5 x 46 x 26mm
Presenter Pro (Stereo) - Turn a table into a speaker
- Portable vibration speaker. Stereo dual drive F4PRO solution for office and boardroom presentations without the need for bulky PA speakers. Just place on top of a table for a portable speaker solution. Or for a more permanent installation mount underneath the table using a mounting kit. You've now turned the table into an invisible speaker.
- Supplied with F110S amplifier, PSU, cables
- International power heads
- Headphone plug for maximum flexibility. Just plug into a mini-headphone socket as found on notebooks, smartphones, tablets etc.
- Soft pouch for protection and portability
F1.3 Demonstration Kit
- Portable dual drive F1PRO solution for resellers, sound artists, sensory marketers etc to experiment, trial and demonstrate the unique capabilities of our invisible speaker technology
- Supplied with F110S amplifier, PSU, cables
- International power heads
- Headphone plug for maximum flexibility
- Soft pouch for protection and portability
Whispering Window boxed set*
- 2 x F1PRO Audio Transducer Drives, for simpler glass panel speaker installations
- Connecting cable 3.5mm x 2 phono x 1m
- Audio drive cables 2 x 1.5m
- Adhesive pads
- Whispering Window instruction manual
- * note amplifier not supplied, we can advise amplifier options
Ben Rhodes of Heals commented "The discovery of Feonic's Whispering Window® technology has really brought this whole project to life. In a matter of seconds, the speakers were attached to the windows, without any intrusive installation or potentially damaging external fixings. It was just so easy. As soon as we started testing the drives, people were stopping at the window as they could hear the test audio." Read more (PDF approx 500Kb)
Made to Order Ultrasonic Exciter and Sound Transducer Solutions
The Feonic Special Product Division (FSPD) designs application specific audio equipment to suit bespoke client needs.This includes:
- Inbuilt devices for Digital Signage, Spatial Augmented Reality, Interactive Advertising
- Inbuilt devices for promotional items, Sensory Marketing, Sound Art Installations
- Specific frequency range devices, for ultrasonic marketing, communication and triggering
- Anti social behaviour modification systems using positive sounds to promote better behaviour (PDF). Ideal for malls and the high street
Please make contact to discuss any specific needs.
Surface Suitability and Material Sensitivity
Materials such as stone, cement, tile on a solid floor, block, brick and cast cement structures cannot emit sound using Feonic Vibration Speaker Technology.
The best materials that can be turned into a panel speaker include: wood, MDF and all sheet woods, glass, plastic sheet (acrylic/polycarbonate) over 6mm in thickness, aluminium, steel (up to around 6mm), plasterboard and other dry wall materials, reinforced plastic, grp, reinforced sheet cement, resin boards, honeycomb boards, aluminium, paper, resin and polymer, aluminium extrusions and hollow profiles.
“Peel and stick - it's really that simple to install!”